Scholarly Publishing at the Crossroads: What’s working, what’s holding us back, where do we go from here?
May 30 – June 1, 2018
Chicago, Illinois USA
As the Society for Scholarly Publishing celebrates its 40th anniversary, the theme for the conference highlights the many crossroads within scholarly publishing, including past and future practices, changing revenue models, funding challenges, regulation changes, technological innovations, and reaching new markets while maintaining established ones. These crossroads introduce new challenges as well as new opportunities for scholarly publishing and for the communities it serves and push us to keep up with the changing needs of researchers and academics who both generate and use the content. As we look back, could we have predicted forty years ago where scholarly publishing would be today? How can we anticipate the needs for the future? What questions do we need to be asking—and answering—to move forward?
The annual meeting will be held in Chicago, a crossroad city itself, and we will explore which strengths to draw on from our past, what might be holding us back, and where to go to meet the needs of researchers and other important stakeholders. As publishers, librarians, vendors, and academics, we will discuss the challenges and opportunities that face us as an industry and how we can best continue to serve our mission of publishing and distributing quality scholarly content.
||Dr. Safiya Umoja Noble
University of Southern California Annenberg School of Communication
Toward an Ethic of Social Justice in Information
Editor and Columnist
How Cialdini's Six Principles of Persuasion Can Help Us Advance Scholarly Communication
- Fueling Scholarship
- Reimagining Research
- Tools and Technology
- Industry Crossroads
- Practical Skills
- New Challenges/New Innovations
- SSP 40th Anniversary Celebration-Paint the Town Red: Join us on Wednesday, May 30, 8:00-10:30 pm at the Navy Pier to celebrate the big 4 - 0! The SSP Annual Meeting is always the highlight of the conference calendar, and 2018 — our 40th anniversary — is poised to be our biggest and best meeting yet. We plan to celebrate this milestone in grand fashion with a gala event Wednesday evening at Navy Pier's Lakeview Terrace, complete with music, food and fireworks. Come dressed in your best red!
- Pre-meeting Seminars: Four Half-day seminars on May 30 offering in-depth discussions and practical advice to prep you for the concurrent sessions.
- Networking: Attendees will enjoy ample opportunities for meeting colleagues and sharing ideas at evening receptions, interactive lunches and other events.
- Exhibitors Marketplace: Our popular exhibit hall provides a central area to learn about new products, programs, services and solutions.
- Bonus Content: Registration includes free sponsored sessions on Wednesday afternoon. Plan to arrive early to take advantage of this additional content provided by industry knowledge experts.