Scholarly Publishing at the Crossroads: What’s working, what’s holding us back, where do we go from here?
May 30 – June 1, 2018
Chicago, Illinois USA
Thanks to all who made the 2018 SSP Annual Meeting a huge success! All educational sessions were recorded and will be made available in the SSP Library in the coming weeks.
Did you take advantage of the Professional Headshot Studio? Your photos are available now! Visit the headshot library on Flickr to see your photos and download the ones you like. To download a photo, click on the image, then click the download icon indicated by the arrow below.
Note: Please use your laptop or desktop computer to access the photos. The download option does not work on mobile.
As the Society for Scholarly Publishing celebrates its 40th anniversary, the theme for the conference highlighted the many crossroads within scholarly publishing, including past and future practices, changing revenue models, funding challenges, regulation changes, technological innovations, and reaching new markets while maintaining established ones. These crossroads introduce new challenges as well as new opportunities for scholarly publishing and for the communities it serves and push us to keep up with the changing needs of researchers and academics who both generate and use the content. As we look back, could we have predicted forty years ago where scholarly publishing would be today? How can we anticipate the needs for the future? What questions do we need to be asking—and answering—to move forward?
Make Plans to Attend
SSP 41st Annual Meeting
May 29-31, 2019
Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
San Diego, California USA
|Dr. Safiya Umoja Noble
University of Southern California Annenberg School of Communication
Toward an Ethic of Social Justice in Information
Editor and Columnist
How Cialdini's Six Principles of Persuasion Can Help Us Advance Scholarly Communication
- Fueling Scholarship
- Reimagining Research
- Tools and Technology
- Industry Crossroads
- Practical Skills
- New Challenges/New Innovations
- SSP 40th Anniversary Celebration-Paint the Town Red: Join us on Wednesday, May 30, 8:00-10:30 pm at the Navy Pier to celebrate the big 4 - 0! The SSP Annual Meeting is always the highlight of the conference calendar, and 2018 — our 40th anniversary — is poised to be our biggest and best meeting yet. We plan to celebrate this milestone in grand fashion with a gala event Wednesday evening at Navy Pier's Lakeview Terrace, complete with music, food and fireworks. Come dressed in your best red!
- Pre-meeting Seminars: Four Half-day seminars on May 30 offering in-depth discussions and practical advice to prep you for the concurrent sessions.
- Networking: Attendees will enjoy ample opportunities for meeting colleagues and sharing ideas at evening receptions, interactive lunches and other events.
- Exhibitors Marketplace: Our popular exhibit hall provides a central area to learn about new products, programs, services and solutions.
- Bonus Content: Registration includes free sponsored sessions on Wednesday afternoon. Plan to arrive early to take advantage of this additional content provided by industry knowledge experts.